Wednesday, July 30, 2008

::Rain::

Yesterday toward the end of our day at school, it began to rain. Now, we were told that we were coming to Cambodia during the "Wet Season", so Brian and I came prepared. We have Crocs (perfect for the rain because they don't soak up water, and they clean easily), rain ponchos/jackets, and umbrellas. Ha. These items could not prepare us for the RAIN that hit yesterday. Since we have been here, there have been days without any rain at all. Other days there has been an afternoon rain that lasts about 20 minutes, but that is all we've seen. Well, it poured yesterday the hardest I have ever witnessed, and it lasted over an hour. Put that together with a country with NO drainage, roads that are still dirt, and a town that has higher areas and lower areas....what do you get? A mess. We walked home through it yesterday, and we sure were glad we had worn our Crocs to work. It was awesome to hear the thunder and feel the mighty, warm rain. It was disgusting to walk home in it, trudging through puddles with who knows WHAT in them. We had to not think about it, and pray for a quick walk home. One of the many joys of experiencing a 3rd world country. Below is a pic (sorry it's dark) of the flooding. Luckily when we woke up this morning, most of the water had left us....who knows where it went.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! Sounds like an adventure! Goodness I sure cannot wait to see your home/city. I still don't think it's fully set in that you aren't living in america... I think it's becuase we only see each other once every few months... so maybe in a month I'll realize... KARIE'S GONE :'(.... I'm really still SO excited for you two... your class looks like a good size! And you've got a great view! 2nd story! How many class rooms in your school? That's REALLY nice Brian has an office. I bet he's really looking forward to teaching?
I love you and miss you a TON! Mom is ALMOST here! I am looking forward to spending a weekend with her! I love you sister!
-Rach