Wednesday, October 8, 2008

- -5 Senses of Cambodia- -

So many of you are interested in knowing what life is like for us here: how it is different, the new things we are experiencing, etc. The best way I thought to communicate that to you is through something we can all relate to...our 5 senses. Going through each of the five senses, I will try my best to give you a visual of life in a third world country:

SEE:
  • Busy roads
  • People going to the bathroom on the side of the road
  • Dirt everywhere
  • Tropical plants
  • Large insects
  • More motos than I have ever seen
  • Worn faces on older people, hopeful faces on the youth of Cambodia.
  • Dogs and cats without homes
  • Markets crowded with people
  • Darkness (the power goes out almost daily)
  • Rats and rat poop everywhere
  • Geckos magically climbing walls
HEAR:
  • Horns honking
  • A language I don't understand
  • Multiple questions: "Excuse me, Tuk Tuk?" "Where you going?" "Where you come from?"
  • Dogs barking
  • Loud claps of thunder
  • Children laughing
  • American rap music playing
  • Tukai Geckos doing their call (hard to explain, but it sounds like some sort of bird)
TASTE:
  • Tropical fruits with FLAVOR
  • Dirt in my mouth, blowing up from the roads
  • Amazing iced coffee with sweet milk
  • A multitude of new and exotic spices
  • Filtered water
  • Fanta soda in many flavors (including Orange, Green Cream, and Pineapple!)
TOUCH:
  • My keyboard keys (lots of touching these; it's how I stay in touch back home)
  • My bicycle handlebars
  • Pencils galore!
  • Riels and dollars
  • Strange fruits
SMELL:
  • Pollution
  • Our helper cooking dinner each night
  • Rotten trash
  • White rice cooking (...far too often)
  • Plumeria flowers
  • Fresh laundry off the line
  • Coffee brewing in the morning
  • Human waste
  • Rain falling on the cement

It is truly so hard to describe our lives here. I feel as if our lives here are completely opposite of our lives in California; not only are we on the other side of the world, but we are on another planet in terms of how we live day-to-day. I deeply miss the things and people of "home", but I know we are here to be challenged and sharpened.

1 comment:

BigBee said...

What a great way to help us relate to your Cambodian world. Very creative. I especially liked your mention of Plumeria flowers... mmm nice!